Wednesday, 9 April 2014
BGS research recognised in the recent IPCC Fifth Assessment
Work initiated and funded by BGS through the Groundwater Science Directorate has been recognised by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Research published by Chris Jackson, Alan MacDonald, David Macdonald, George Darling, Brighid Ó Dochartaigh and Lou Maurice has just been cited in the Freshwater Resources chapter (Ch 3) of the Working Group II contribution to the Fifth Assessment Report (WGII AR5).
The Groundwater Science directorate continue to work on issues related to environmental change and groundwater resources and quality. For example, with work focussing on analysis of reconstructed groundwater levels, analysis of historic droughts (a NERC funded UK Droughts Programme project with a range of academic partners), and, along with CEH, analysis of the role of climate change as one of multiple stressors on water resources and ecosystem services across Europe with a case study focussing on the Thames Basin (the EU FP7 funded MARS project).
The papers cited are:
· Jackson, C.R., R. Meister, and C. Prudhomme, 2011: Modelling the effects of climate change and its uncertainty on UK Chalk groundwater resources from an ensemble of global climate model projections. Journal of Hydrology, 399(1-2), 12-28
· Guardiola-Albert, C. and C.R. Jackson, 2011: Potential Impacts of climate change on groundwater supplies to the Doñana wetland, Spain. Wetlands, 31(5), 907-920.
· MacDonald, A.M., R.C. Calow, D.M.J. MacDonald, W.G. Darling, and B.É.Ó. Dochartaigh, 2009: What impact will climate change have on rural groundwater supplies in Africa? Hydrological Sciences Journal, 54(4), 690-703
· Taylor, R.G., B. Scanlon, P. Döll, M. Rodell, R. van Beek, Y. Wada, L. Longuevergne, M. Leblanc, J.S. Famiglietti, M. Edmunds, L. Konikow, T.R. Green, J. Chen, M. Taniguchi, M.F.P. Bierkens, A. MacDonald, Y. Fan, R.M. Maxwell, Y. Yechieli, J.J. Gurdak, D.M. Allen, M. Shamsudduha, K. Hiscock, P.J.-F. Yeh, I. Holman, and H. Treidel, 2013a: Ground water and climate change. Nature Climate Change, 3(4), 322-329
· Taylor, R.G., M.C. Todd, L. Kongola, L. Maurice, E. Nahozya, H. Sanga, and A.M. MacDonald, 2013b: Evidence of the dependence of groundwater resources on extreme rainfall in East Africa. Nature Climate Change, 3(4), 374-378.
Congratulations to everyone in BGS who has contributed to the IPCC reports.